Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The god of small things

There are books that are unputdownable. Books that are enjoyable. Books you wish you were in.
And then there are books that you don't particularly relate to and yet these are so evocative.

I don't relate to this one even remotely, and yet I'm finding it extremely redolent. It's bringing back memories, recollections of things I thought I'd forgotten. Justifiably forgotten. But maybe it's not just because of the book. Maybe it's because I posted a greeting card yesterday. Usually mother posts it. But yesterday, I bought the ten-rupee stamp, I scribbled the address, I slipped it down the red metal box. Yes, that can be a contributing factor.Yes.

It could be argued that it actually began thousands of years ago. Long before the Marxists came. Long before the British took Malabar, before Dutch Ascendancy, before Vasco da Gama arrived, before Zamorin's conquest of Calicut. Before Christianity arrived in a boat and seeped into Kerala like tea from teabag.That it really began in the days when Love Laws were made. The laws that lay down who should be loved, and how. And how much.

Who should be loved, and how. And how much.
Convincing, yet debatable.

0 comments: